The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
May I take this opportunity to wish everyone but especially our Hindu Brethren, a very happy Diwali. Diwali symbolizes the spiritual "victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance." I had the privilege, some years ago, of being in Singapore during Diwali and what a wonderful festival it is. I hope all Brethren and their families, who are celebrating this week have a very happy, enjoyable and meaningful time.
The Benevolence and Care Committee met this week and I continue to marvel at the work carried out under their remit. It was heart-warming to hear that both our Homes are still Covid free thanks to the dedication and commitment of Mrs Dawn Oliff, her two managers – Gillian Hunter and Wilma McDonald and all members of staff at the Homes for the outstanding level of care, attention and dedication they have given to all our Residents during the lockdown.
From the reports at the Committee meeting, I am confident that the running total to Prostate Cancer Scotland will reach £800,000 by the end of this year which gives us all a clear objective before the Installation in 2022 – to raise the final £200,000. It was agreed at the Committee that I can go ahead and appoint a working party to dream up fund-raising ideas and to co-ordinate the fund-raising. I will be looking to the Register of Interests to find suitable members.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 5841 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 966, submitted by 318 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 338 Lodges, from within 55 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- This week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Glasgow, Renfrewshire West and Ross & Cromarty.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,622,886.
SCFS Overseas Report
An outstanding post was published this week from Lodge Northcliffe, No. 1086, in the district of Newfoundland and Labrador, which shared news of the Lodge’s admirable donation to Madd Exploits Valley, as the charity works towards stopping impaired driving and to support victims of this.
- Our Overseas Membership is still steadily growing and has now reached a total of 1634 brethren as a result of new members joining from Lodges in Central South Africa (RSA), Far East (Philippines), Jamaica and Fiji.
- Our membership of brethren who belong to Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS also continues to increase and now stands at 973. These members play an important role in spreading news throughout their respective constitutions of the excellent support which brethren of the Scottish constitution are providing to so many.
- During this week, new members joined from 11 different Masonic constitutions, including: GL of Canada in the Province of Ontario, GL of the Philippines, GL of India, GL of New South Wales and ACT, United GL of Queensland, UGLE, GL of Kansas, GL of Quebec, GL of Indiana, GL of Hawaii.
- In addition to the above, a special welcome was extended to BrotherJeffery VanCuren, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of South Dakota.
- It is encouraging that more Lodges in our Districts, under Grand Superintendents and under the supervision of Grand Lodge, are sharing with us the examples of the excellent support which they have been involved in, and we look forward to publishing future news.
Can I convey the grateful thanks of my Deputation to the Provincial Grand Master of Orkney and Zetland, his Office-bearers and Brethren, for the excellent hospitality we received in Lerwick and in Brae last weekend – it was a delight to be with you all once again. Despite the travel issues, we all thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Many thanks.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason