The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
It was with great sadness that I learned in the week past of the arson attack on the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. I have spoken to the Grand Master, Brother Douglas Gray, and he informed me that there is in excess of £200k worth of damage. The bulk of the damage has been to the library but there is extensive smoke and water damage throughout the building. The building was sealed off as a crime scene by the Garda but Grand Secretary, Brother Phillip Daley, and a few of his staff are back in the building working hard to restore order but they have no electricity and are working with a generator which is not ideal, but they are making progress. Our own Grand Secretary is in constant touch with Brother Daley and has offered any assistance that we can give.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6089 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1071, submitted by 343 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 356 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Province of Inverness-shire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,834,361.
SCFS Overseas Report
We were delighted to receive the first overseas post of 2022, which came from the District of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Brother Scott Bartlett, IPDGM, posted information on the District Grand Lodge’s generous donation to the local Cancer Hospice - Daffodil Place, which provides lodges to serve as welcoming homes, away from home, for people with cancer who need to travel to receive treatment.
*This week we welcomed 23 Brethren from Lodges located out with Scotland. Our first such member of 2022 was Brother Stevenson Ang, WM, Labong Lodge, No. 59, in the Philippines.
- Our Overseas Membership is growing steadily … now standing at 1675,with Brethren joining from the Districts of The Bahamas, Western Australia and Central South Africa (the District which had most Brethren joining from it). The Lodge which had most new members coming from it was Lodge Nelspruit United, No. 1402, in Central South Africa.
- We now have 1130members from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS (ICMs), and who spread news, worldwide, of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren. New members joined from 13different Masonic constitutions this week: GL of Canada in the Province of Ontario, GL of California, UGLE (England, South Africa Central, South Africa North, Nigeria), GL of The State of Israel, GL of Ghana, GL of South Africa, GL of South Austrialia and Northern Territory, GL of Nigeria, GL of New Hampshire, GL of Florida, GL of New South Wales and ACT, GL of the Philippines, GL “Alpina” of Switzerland.
I have been made aware of a number of remarks on social media that Grand Lodge has given no direction in respect of whether or not Lodges can continue to meet. Can I state categorically that Grand Secretary has issued guidance to the effect that Lodges can continue to meet, provided that they comply fully with the guidance and legislation set down by the Scottish Government. That said, attendance at meetings is very much a personal choice and no pressure must be placed on any member to attend meetings.
The Government guidance is liable to change however, I can assure you that Grand Secretary will ensure that any changes are duly notified to Lodge Secretaries.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason