The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
Can I start by wishing our many Chinese Brethren a very happy and prosperous New Year when you commence your celebrations on Tuesday!
Yesterday, the second meeting of the Conference Committee took place. The Committee have a monumental task in front of them but are perfectly capable of bringing it all together timeously. However, to assist in the planning process, Grand Secretary will be circulating a note to all Districts and Provinces very shortly asking District and Provincial Grand Masters to give an early indication of numbers that they anticipate will wish to participate. Once that information is to hand much of the forward planning can effectively take place to ensure that the 4th International Scottish Masonic Conference lives up to the high standards set by the previous three conferences.
The “Make it a Million” project is making progress – the Whisky Raffle has raised over £1000 so far and there is still time to get your tickets from John Muir. Jim Beattie, the PGM in Caithness has raised a marvellous £1700 by cycling round the four Lodges in his Province – great result from one of the smallest Provinces in the country. They are also the most northerly Province on the Mainland. Congratulations and I look forward to the other Provinces following them.
A full report of the potential fund-raising ideas has been submitted to the Benevolence and Care Committee and they will hopefully give the go ahead to the working party to get things moving. There will be a dedicated Facebook page in which information about upcoming events will be publicised and stories and pictures from all the events will be displayed – that will be getting launched very shortly. It has also been suggested that we have an indicator on the Facebook page showing a running total of monies donated.
Last Saturday I had a very productive meeting with the District Grand Masters and while I fully appreciate that they have their own priorities and charities which is only but right, I am most grateful for the support which was shown. We will, together, Make it a Million.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6176 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1087, submitted by 347 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 358 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Galloway, Linlithgowshire, Perthshire West and Stirlingshire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,851,201.
SCFS Overseas Report
Our membership of Brethren from Lodges located outwith Scotland continues to grow steadily and this week we welcomed another 19 Brethren to the SCFS group.
Included in that number were Brethren from Overseas Lodges operating under the Grand Lodge of Scotland and also Brethren under other Grand Lodges which are in amity with the GLoS.
- In this respect, particular reference must be made to Lodge Felicity, No. 1681, in the District of Trinidad and Tobago & Grenada. By absolute coincidence, our Overseas Membership is now standing at
- We also now have 1195 Brethren from Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS, and who spread news, worldwide, of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren. We look forward to welcoming our 1200th ICM. New members joined from 14 different Masonic constitutions this week: GL of California, GL of Florida, National GL of Romania, GL of Massachusetts, GL of Ireland, UGLE (Bombay), GL of Canada in the Province of Ontario, GL of Washington, GL of Denmark, GL of Utah, GL of British Columbia and Yukon, GL of Alabama, GL of India.
- A special welcome was also extended to Brother Leandros Lefakis as Past Assistant Grand Master of the National Grand Lodge of Greece.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason