The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
As you read this week’s update, I’ll be heading to Edinburgh Airport on the first part of my journey to Bermuda. On Tuesday I will have the pleasure of Installing Brother Martin Weekes as the new Grand Superintendent of Bermuda. Brother Weekes and his Brethren have put a very comprehensive programme together for both before and after the Installation which I am looking forward to. During my stay in Bermuda, I’ll have the opportunity to visit all of our Lodges and meet with the Brethren. I was delighted to read in Brother Jim Ellis’s report this week that the Superintendency have donated the magnificent sum of $2500 to various local charities. I’ll be in Bermuda until Thursday 3rd March when I’ll head for the Bahamas via Miami to carry out the District Grand Lodge Installation there.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6311 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1111, submitted by 354 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 363 Lodges, from within 56 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provinces of Ayrshire, Glasgow, Lanarkshire Middle Ward, Linlithgowshire and Ross & Cromarty.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £1,950,659.
SCFS Overseas Report
This week, we were delighted to receive a very interesting post from Bermuda.
- Brother John Skinner, Lodge Civil and Military, No. 726, posted information on the contribution of the three Scottish Lodges in Bermuda … Lodge St. George, No. 200, Lodge Civil and Military, No. 726, and Lodge Somers Isles, No. 1505. All are part of The Freemasons Fund for Bermuda, which recently donated $2,500 (£1850) each to PALS (support of cancer patients and families) and Vision Bermuda (helping people with no or low vision to maintain independence).
This week we welcomed 29 Brethren from Lodges located outwith Scotland.
- Our Overseas Membership of Brethren from Lodges under the GLoS continues to grow steadily … now standing at 1707, with new members joining from the Districts of Lebanon, Central South Africa (RSA) and Middle East (Malaysia).
- In addition, we now have 1275 Brethren from many other Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS, and who spread news, worldwide, of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren. New members joined from 9different Masonic constitutions this week: GL of the State of Israel, GL of Ireland (Bermuda), GL of Poland, GL of the Philippines, UGLE (England, Western Cape, South America Southern Division, Bahamas and Turks), GL of Hawaii, United GL of Victoria, GL of New South Wales and ACT, GL of Alberta.
- Again, we would encourage our Overseas Lodges and Districts to continue sharing news of their good support of others and look forward to publishing posts from them … most especially first posts from some Districts.
My sincere thanks to the Brethren of Renfrewshire East whose warm welcome and hospitality were greatly enjoyed last Saturday on the occasion of the Installation of Brother Ronnie Fraser and his Commission.
Likewise, our Depute Grand Master, Brother Jim Bell was greatly impressed by the welcome and hospitality he and his Deputation received in Lodge St Skae of Ferryden.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason