The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
As we head toward the start of the new “Masonic Season” can I remind everyone that the dispensations granted during the Covid lockdown and restriction period will all end on 1st September. I gave due notice at the June Communication that the dispensations that have been in place since the start of the lockdown in respect of laws 122, (a Lodge being deemed inactive) and 168 (time between Enquiry Committee and application being read in Lodge) will cease to have effect from the 1st of September 2022. Likewise, the timescales for disciplinary matters will revert to those times listed in Appendix 7.
Sincere thanks to Substitute Grand Master, Brother Jim Peddie and his Deputation for carrying out what I believe was an excellent rededication ceremony at Lodge Galen. My congratulations to the Lodge with every best wish for the future.
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6776 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1312, submitted by 393 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 397 Lodges, from within 57 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provincial Grand Lodges of Ayrshire, Forfarshire, Kilwinning, Perthshire East & Stirlingshire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £2,563,430.
SCFS Overseas Report
- It was extremely heartening to publish the first post from the District Grand Lodge of North Island New Zealand, in which Brother Tony Ford, District Grand Master, shared news of a very generous donation, on behalf of the District, to the “Make it a Million” target in support of Prostate Scotland.
- Brother Jim Kerr, District Grand Master of Central South Africa, provided information related to a donation of over £10,000, on behalf of the District Grand Lodges of Central South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, and the Western Province of the Cape of Good Hope, also to the “Make it a Million” target.
- A post was published highlighting the financial support of Lodge Northcliffe, No. 1086, in the District of Newfoundland and Labrador, for the Salvation Army which provided daily meals to the firefighters and members of the Search and Rescue teams who were involved in battling 3 major forest fires, just 15 miles from the Lodge premises.
The membership of Brethren from our overseas Lodges continues to grow and this week we welcomed new members from the Districts of Guyana, Middle East (Malaysia), Newfoundland and Labrador, and Western Australia Goldfields.
- There was also a tremendous response from the brethren from Lodges in the District of North Island New Zealand… the District which had the most new members coming from it. Lodge St. Andrew, No. 418, and Lodge Ponsonby, No. 708, equally had the most members joining from an individual Lodge. There are now 1821 members in the SCFS group from our Lodges overseas.
- Membership of brethren belonging to Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS, (ICM - International Constitution Member) and who spread news worldwide of the wonderful support given to others by our Brethren, was boosted by new Members joining from 7widely spread Masonic constitutions: the GL of Bolivia, GL of the Philippines, UGLE(Bombay), GL of Greece, GL of Illinois, GL of California.
- In addition, a further 12 brethren joined from Lodges governed by the Grand Lodge of New Zealand. Congratulations is extended to one of those brethren, Brother Richard De Vera, Master, Lodge Waitakerei, No. 170, who is our 1500thInternational Constitution Member.
Can I give a wee reminder to get the names of those attending the Memorial Service in Glasgow Cathedral to our Assistant Grand Secretary as soon as possible. The Order of Service is now complete, and it promises to be a very moving, poignant, and memorable service.
Details of how to link into the service will be distributed by Grand Secretary.
It looks to me that the Zip Slide may well provide a bonus and take us over the £1 million mark and, as I mentioned last week - please support all those who are taking part which now includes myself. Looking forward to it – the “Just Giving” pages are all up and running so please support whoever you can! During the past week alone, I received a number of cheques and pledges. John Muir - £600 from sale of tokens, Lodge Burns Dundonald £750, Lodge Mother Kilwinning £2000 from three rounds of golf in one day and last night, learned that there will be a cheque coming from the Province of Ross and Cromarty for £11,000. Plus, there are heaps of other activities ongoing – please get details onto the “Make it a Million Facebook page. Once again, my sincere thanks to all at home and abroad who have shown their support in so many ways.
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason