The Grand Lodge of Antient Free and Accepted Masons of Scotland
William Ramsay McGhee, MStJ, D.L., Grand Master Mason
This week I am writing to you from a wet and windy St John’s in Newfoundland and Labrador with the promise of hurricanes at the weekend.
Grand Secretary and I arrived here at 01.00 on Thursday morning. We are delighted to be accompanied by Brother Alex Craib, Junior Grand Standard Bearer and Brother Dr Douglas Nicol, PGM of Aberdeenshire East.
Our day started with a visit to Government House where we were given a most interesting tour before meeting with the Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Judy May Foote. What a charming lady who was well acquainted with Freemasonry. From there we headed to Lodge Conception No 1679 where we joined the Brethren for lunch. While at lunch, all our phones erupted into life saying that Conception Bay area was going into immediate lockdown due to a gunman on the loose and we were not to leave the building. Lunch was thereafter extended until shortly after 14.30 when the police sent out a message to the effect that a 31-year-old male had been arrested and that the lockdown was over.
Next stop was to visit the District Grand Tyler, Brother Bill Smith, who was in the process of moving into his new home in the Masonic Park site. The homes have two bedrooms, an open plan living room / kitchen area and a large storage space that incorporates a washing machine and fittings etc. We then headed to another part of the Park where we met Past DGM Robert Smith and his wife Sylvia. Brother Smith will be my acting Grand Senior Warden at the Installation Ceremony.
Also on the Masonic Park site is Freemasons’ Hall. A magnificent building with excellent facilities.
We then had time to head back to the hotel to freshen up before returning to the Freemasons’ Hall where we had the pleasure to meet with many of the Brethren and their wives. It was a splendid night with good entertainment and outstanding hospitality.
Today, Friday, Grand Secretary and I had a working breakfast with senior members of the District before visiting Lodge MacKay, No 1129, Lodge Harbour Grace No 476, Lodge Carbonear No 1043, and Lodge Hearts Content No 1275. Tonight, we will have a private dinner with the DGM, Brother Gary Warren Dinham
Tomorrow is the Installation and Banquet which I will report on next week. That said, the weather forecast for the weekend is that we will be hit by Hurricane Fiona!
- The Group saw its membership rise to 6832 Brethren from not only the Scottish Constitution but from many of our Sister Constitutions throughout the world.
- This week saw the total examples of charitable giving recorded within the group rise to 1331, submitted by 396 of its members.
- These updated contributions can now be attributed as to being made on behalf of 402 Lodges, from within 57 of its Provincial Grand Lodges, District Grand Lodges, Superintendencies and Lodges abroad under the direct supervision of Grand Lodge.
- During the week posts were submitted by group members representing the Provincial Grand Lodges of Glasgow and Stirlingshire.
- The total identifiable monetary value of the contributions now recorded has risen to £2,593,344.
SCFS Overseas Report
Over the past few weeks, the membership of brethren from Lodges located outside Scotland has continued to grow and now stands at 1832.
- Approaching our 1600th ICM (International Constitution Members - brethren belonging to Lodges whose Grand Lodges are in amity with the GLoS and who are important in spreading news worldwide of the wonderful support given to others by our brethren), we have now recorded 1594 This week, that group was boosted by new members joining from Masonic constitutions such as: GL of Mississippi, UGLE, and GL of Japan.
- In addition, a significant number of brethren joined from the Grand Lodge of Ukraine, with particular reference having to be made to Lodge Golden Acacia, No. 4.
**We would encourage our Overseas Lodges and Districts to continue sharing news of their excellent support of others and look forward to publishing further posts from them. **
Finally, as always, please stay safe and look after each other.
Grand Master Mason